Brett Poirier: "Carmelo will play in Houston, Morey get what he wants"




SoloTriples: It's nice to have you here again Brett. A pleasure and lot of thanks for the opportunity, again. I would love to start with a quick answer. A word to describe this season. 
Brett Poirier: I would say “uncharacteristic“ best describes this season. With an underdog winning and teams trying to lose, it was very odd.

ST: Every year all of us were talking about last chance for the Spurs... They are getting very old and still win year after year. What about that? They won NBA title again…
BP: The Spurs continue to surprise everyone, including myself. Grace over power seems to work out for them. SA knows they don’t need to score 110 points and outrun their opponents to win. They have a nice old core and a nice young core. They’ll be around for a while.

ST: Which team has been the disappointment of the season and why?
BP: I really think the Knicks let a lot of people down. They under performed most nights and sometimes didn’t even compete. The ownership is flawed and beat reporters are taking shots at the team on the daily. Players wanted out left right and center. Just a mess of a season.

ST: Which team has been the surprise of the season and why?
BP: For me Portland was the biggest surprise. A year ago we were all wondering if LaMarcus Aldridge would even return and now he’s look at many more years with the Blazers. they have a very underrated coach in Stotts and probably a future top-5 point guard in Damian Lillard (if he’s not already).

ST: Finally the MVP was for Kevin Durant, was fair? 
BP: For the first time in about 7-8 years the MVP didn’t deserve to go to LeBron James. Kevin Durant is extremely deserving of this award, he had an MJ-type regular season.

ST: For this new season, do you think it will be again a fight between Lebron James or Kevin Durant or you see any player with possibilities? 
BP: I think we’re about to watch LeBron hand over the throne to Durant. We saw this with Kobe Bryant to LeBron several years ago. I don’t think it happens next season, but soon.

ST: Pick your five favorites players, one for each position. 
BP: BEST: PG - Chris Paul SG - James Harden - SF LeBron James - PF - Kevin Durant C - Dwight Howard. FAVORITE: Steve Nash, DeMar DeRozan, Kevin Durant, Tim Duncan and Marcin Gortat.

ST: They are a lot of good players in the Free Agency, do you think we will have a lot of team changes?
BP: As we saw with the opening free agency, hundreds of calls were made. I would say this free agency period will be on of the craziest.

ST: I will say a name, where do you think he will play and why? 
Lebron James 
BP: Miami, I think they’re doing everything he wants for him to stay.

ST: Carmelo Anthony
BP: Houston, Daryl Morey gets what he wants, and I believe he really wants Carmelo.

ST: Kevin Love
BP: Golden State, he’s very specific about where he wants to play (weather, quality of team, market size) and I think that should meet the demand.

ST: Kyle Lowry
BP: Toronto, the Raps are very confident he will stay. So am I.

ST: Pau Gasol
BP: I have no idea, but I hope it’s not with the Lakers. They’ve had him on the block for years. Time to move on, Pau.

ST: We talk a year ago about the improvement of canadian players, and now, we have to talk about another pick 1 of NBA Draft, Andrew Wiggins. He will be a superstar soon?
BP: I think it will take a little time. Jabari Parker will likely have a better first season but Wiggins has a higher ceiling, in my opinion. I think by year three we will be discussing Wiggins for All-NBA teams.

ST: Your Top 3 candidates to be Rookie Of The Year and your favourite one.
BP: Jabari Parker, Dante Exum, Julius Randle. I’m picking Parker because I think he will be the go-to guy in Milwaukee and that should pad his stats.

ST: We talk a year ago too about the big future of this Draft, do you still believe that? Will accomplish the expectations?
BP: I think it exceeded expectations as far as ratings go. More viewers than ever before. It’s too bad we didn’t see any major deals go down but it was still a fun night.

ST: What do you think about Adam Silver? 
BP: I’m his No. 1 fan. We’ve communicated on personal notes in the past and I’ve always had positive encounters. The work he’s done as a commissionaire, specifically with Donald Sterling and Isaiah Austin, has given me great confidence in our league.

ST: Who is for you the best Power Forward of history and why?
BP: This is an easy decision for me, Tim Duncan. I think he’s a born winner. The man hasn’t let the fame go to his head (those soccer mom jeans we wore). Karl Malone was excellent, but when you just look at team success and not personal numbers Duncan has to be the guy.

ST: Before finish, I have to ask you about the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup... What do you think about Spain? 
BP: Spain is constantly improving in the basketball world. They traditionally have great point guards and more recently some elite bigs. I don’t know if they win this year but they’ll likely finish near the top. If Spain can produce a great forward, watch out.

ST: Do you think it's possible that some team can beat USA? 
BP: Right now, no. I have my fingers crossed that in 2020 Canada can give them a run for their money.


You can follow Brett on